The first "classic" I fell in love with was Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. My mom took me to a bookstore when I was eleven, and I felt a connection with the text even before I read the first page. It took me months to finish the book, but to this today, when I hear the name of Mr. Rochester, or Thornfield Hall, I smile at the memory of my old friends.
As a high school Language Arts teacher, I try and instill a love of reading in my students. For most of them, books are a chore that they try to avoid. A few attempt to humor me and read the text, while most work hard to watch the movie or read a plot summary. For the sake of my son, I hope that the love of reading is partly genetic, and partly environmental. My wish is that his imagination connects with books, and always him to find (safe) adventures in an unsafe world.
More for nostalgia than any other reason, here are my list of "Top Ten Books" that somehow struck a chord with me.
1. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
2. Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
3. Little House on the Prairie (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
4. Tuesdays With Morrie (Mitch Albom)
5. Alias Grace (Margaret Atwood)
6. The Last Silk Dress (Ann Rinaldi)
7. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
8. The Awakening (Kate Chopin)
9. Jacob Have I Loved (Katherine Paterson)
10. Goodnight Moon (Margaret Wise Brown)

No comments:
Post a Comment