When life gets complicated, or I need to regain perspective on life, I often find myself revisiting Mitch Albom’s bestseller Tuesdays With Morrie. It might seem odd to use a contemporary text as a guidepost for living, but so many of the philosophies that Albom highlights help me focus on the important elements of life.
Morrie Schwartz, Mitch Albom’s teacher and friend, comments that,
“Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn’t. You take certain things for granted, even when you know you shouldn’t take anything for granted (40).”
In many ways, that series of pulls embodies my current experience. I am enjoying my time back at work, and I am blessed to have a job, yet I often find my mind wandering to thoughts of my boys throughout the workday. They are safe and happy with their sitter and friends, but I often feel pangs of guilt and jealousy that I’m not physically with them at that moment. Likewise, when I am at home with my family, I inadvertently reflect on issues I am having at school. Rather than getting mired in the pulls back and forth, I should focus on the end of the aphorism, knowing that I, “shouldn’t take anything for granted (40).”
Towards the end of the text, Morrie challenges Mitch to, “Invest in human family (157).” He goes on to say that we should, “Build a little community of those you love and those who love you (157).” In spite of a busy schedule, and lack of sleep, and all of the other challenges that go with being a working parent, I feel so blessed that I have a family that is happy, healthy – and continuously growing! Obviously, my boys (the little guys and their fearless leader!) are my heart and soul, and are the reason I wake up (almost always) with a smile each morning.
Anthony knows exactly the moment I need a hug, and Jimmy adds humor to any moment with a silly smile.
Danny does the “little things” that make each day just a little better for all of us.
Our extended family is just as amazing. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins give us cause for celebration and laughter.
Especially new babies – welcome to the family Baby Julia!
Even when life is hectic, and work is overwhelming, and I fall asleep before my head hits the pillow, I must remember Auden’s words that Morrie Schwartz often repeated…
Love each other or perish.


No comments:
Post a Comment