I hate puzzles.
I take no joy in sorting 25/100/1000/5000 pieces of cardboard, and attempting to make some image come together. I am easily frustrated when the pieces don't mesh. I really loathe the whole process.
Through no effort on my part (but perhaps lots and lots of effort on the part of my mother), both Anthony and Jim love puzzles. Whether it is the wooden Melissa and Doug games that make ungodly noises when the pieces hit the right spot, or the floor-sized puzzles of fire trucks and the solar system, both boys can quietly and patiently piece together a picture. I'm amazed (and a bit jealous) at their focus and determination, as the patiently test each piece to see where it fits.
I have an updated confession.
I still hate puzzles. But I kinda like watching the boys (and maybe even helping them) put a puzzle together.
Just don't tell my mom.

No comments:
Post a Comment