Sometimes I need an escape.
Not an I hate my life and want to run away escape, but a life is crazy and I need a quick recharge sort of feeling.
In the past, I’ve self-medicated with a new book, or a day at the spa, or (especially) a long afternoon nap. But as life changes, so do our coping mechanisms, and sometimes the escape I crave occurs rather unintentionally.
At first, Saturday was glaringly routine. Breakfast for the boys. Loads of laundry. Preschool homework. Emails demanding a response. Bills to pay. House to clean. But certain (rather demanding) cries interrupted this routine.
Mommy, will you play with us?
Can you read me a book?
Let’s do an art project.
There is a constant struggle between get something done and be in the moment. On Saturday, I let be in the moment win. No laundry. No iPhone. Dirty house. Instead, we played firefighters and garbage truck and army guys. We put a puzzle together. We read lots and lots of books.
While my house was still a disaster, and the laundry (today) is still not done, I had a good and proper escape. I separated from (most of) my responsibilities, and spent a good chunk of time in the moment with my boys.
The icing on the cake?
We made clubhouse under the dining room table, complete with books, blankets, and pillows… and promptly fell asleep. And those who know me well know that an afternoon nap is my favorite escape.

So adorable!!!! Naps were the days for me, although short lived!!!
ReplyDelete