Sunday, January 17, 2010

Reflection

Anthony was up early this morning (surprise, surprise) so we went to early Mass before meeting up with his Grammy as well as his aunt, uncle and cousins for breakfast.  Fortunately, he was content to be a church (which is not always the case), and we had the opportunity to really listen to Father Jared's homily.   After hearing the gospel about the wedding at Caanan, Father reminded us that prayer is unbelievably powerful, and that God answers even the most impossible or even unnecessary requests if we show enough faith.  This really gave me some pause for reflection today...

My life is truly blessed.  I have a kind and loving husband, a healthy and happy son, and another beautiful baby on the way.  My family is warm and supportive, and I have a job that I truly enjoy.  I have a house that exceeds my needs, and a warm dinner every night.   I lead a charmed life.

So what should I be praying for?  Selfishly, I pray that my life continues on this same course.  I pray for the health and happiness of my family, and especially for the safe arrival of my new baby.  I pray that God makes me kind, even when I want to gossip or complain.  I pray that good things continue happening to me, and the people around me. 

But there is so many other more important things happening in this world, and so many (tragic) events that require God's attention, that I feel so selfish with these requests.  There are people suffering in Haiti.  There is a local family who lost their father a year ago, their grandfather over the holidays, and their mother now faces a terminal illness.  

Wishing for continued happiness just seems selfish.  And yet, as I fall asleep tonight, those will be the prayers I continue to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment