I've always liked music, but let's just say I won't win any Trivial Pursuit games that deal with melodies and lyrics. As a high school student I owned a handful of CD's that I listened to faithfully, but I never felt a strong connection to music outside of the Broadway showtunes that I used to torture my family with, or a few classical pieces I learned about during band class.
Danny is quite the opposite. Maybe it is because he is a child of MTV (while my parents deprived us of cable television until I was nearly twenty), but he knows the lyrics to countless songs, and can win any "Name That Band" contest he stumbles upon.
I think the boys have inherited Dan's connection to music. Anthony loves anything that could possibly resemble an instrument, and was elated when he got a guitar and a drum for his birthday last week. Jimmy seems to calm as soon as he hears a familiar lullaby, and watches his brother "perform" with utter adoration.
Now that Dan has gone back to school, we are starting to sink back into a daily routine, and that includes our evening dance party in the living room. We turn on some dance tunes, and everyone is up and moving and laughing together.
Music has a new place in my life, because it is yet another way I have found to connect with my boys.

No comments:
Post a Comment