And every time I read the book to my boys, I can't help but tear up. Every night, at every stage of the son's life, his mother creeps into his room, holds him, and sings
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.
The mother sings his lullably when her two year old, "pulled all the books off of the shelves" (happens all of the time in my house), when her nine year old, "always said bad words" (not looking forward to this day), and her teenager, "had strange friends and wore strange clothes" (definitely frightened for this day).
It's so easy to love my boys during the easy moments. When Anthony pats my back and runs his fingers through my hair and I rock him. When Jimmy tightly grasps my hand while I nurse him.
But this book is a good reminder to love them during the challenging times. When Anthony throws a tantrum before bedtime. Or when Jimmy throws up the contents of an entire feeding.
To my boys...
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.
As serious as the book is, there is one moment of comic relief, as least in Dan's opinion. Towards the end of the story, when her son is a grown man, the mother gets into her car at night, sneaks into his house, and sings him that same lullably as he sleeps.
Dan asked if I planned on "torturing" the boys that way.
Ummmm.... yes!
I'm not sure of the logistics, or even the practicality of my plan, but Anthony and James do not doubt that I am capable of sneaking into your houses when you are grown up, and giving you good night kisses. I'm weird that way.


No comments:
Post a Comment